You are hereBoard of Selectmen Agenda, Minutes and Archives

Board of Selectmen Agenda, Minutes and Archives


BOS Draft Minutes for September 16, 2014

Aquinnah Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting 9/16/2014
Aquinnah Town Hall Selectmen’s Mtg Room

Members present: Chairman Jim Newman, Julianne Vanderhoop, Spencer Booker
Also present: Town Administrator Adam Wilson, Anita Billings, Fire Chief Simon Bollin, Jamie Kanaka, Derrill Bazzy, Sarah Thulin, David Jansen, Jim Pickman, Len Butler, Beverly Wright, DPW Director Jay Smalley, Lighthouse Keeper Richard Skidmore, BOH Chairman Jim Glavin

The meeting began at 5:30 pm.
-1st on the agenda under Old Business was a review of minutes from 9/2
-Spencer made a motion to accept the minutes from September 2, 2014. Julianne seconded.
The Board voted 3 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.

Jim moved to Item 3 on the New Business agenda. A draft proposal from the Lighthouse Committee was presented that listed a number of concessions members of the committee had worked out with the Condominium Owners up at the lighthouse that were to go to the Planning Board for possible inclusion into the site special permit the town was requesting from the Planning Board Plan Review Committee. He said that because Spencer and Julianne were seeing the document for the 1st time, they would take the recommended proposal from the Lighthouse committee under advisement.
-Jim said he has made arrangements with the Lighthouse Keeper (Richard Skidmore), to tour the lighthouse Monday at 5:00 pm. He said they also are invited to tour the condo owners’ premises as well.
The Selectmen agreed by consensus to have a site visit at the lighthouse @ 5:00 pm and then to have a posted meeting Monday, September 22nd @ 6:15 pm to take up the matter further.
Jim asked Adam to send the draft proposal to Town Counsel for review and comment.
-There was discussion about the pros and cons of the agreement and concessions still to be considered from members of the committee and condo owners present. There was gratitude expressed that there has been a lot of effort to have everyone’s concerns addressed.

-Jim read the letter that awarded the Gay Head Lighthouse to Aquinnah from the Department of the Interior (see attached).

-Going back to the 1st new business agenda item, Simon introduced Anita Billings as the candidate for Administrative Assistant to the Fire Department. There was discussion on the hiring process and Anita’s background working for both the Oak Bluffs and Edgartown’s fire departments.
Julianne made a motion to appoint Anita Billings as Aquinnah’s Fire Department Administrative Assistant until June 30th, 2015. Spencer seconded.
The Board voted 3 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.

-Next on the agenda was a meeting with CPC Chairman Derrill Bazzy to discuss how the CPA funded projects are doing. Derrill handed out a worksheet outlining the status of various CPA projects (See attached). There was discussion about what’s being worked on and what still needs to be done. Derrill said that projects don’t have to be done in the fiscal year they were approved. He said that some of the appropriations made for community housing are for the purpose of setting aside money in advance for pre-development. There was discussion about how certain projects need a push from its sponsor in order to get done, such as the historic preservation project to restore the Red Beach bulkhead. Jay said that project could also get Chapter 90 funds since it affects the parking lot and town road.
-Derrill said the committee has a policy that if a project has had no action done to it after two years from its approval, it comes up for review again by the committee with a re-application proposal required from the sponsor. Most of the projects created 2 years ago are still being worked on; 2 of the projects are finished and the remaining amount sent back into the CPA reserve. 1 project’s funds were repurposed for other historic preservation projects.
-There was discussion about the funds put aside for the Baptist Church as the parsonage house could also use funding support for its restoration, particularly because the Church is committed to it remaining rented affordably.

-Derrill also talked about the standing funds and reserves. He said there is $225K in the housing reserve to be able to buy land for affordable housing. There is also a CPA surplus in an undesignated fund generated by going low on projected revenues from the 3% local assessment & state match that is $100,000. He said these funds are available right away, with town meeting vote, and is viewed by the CPC as a reserve for extra funding for projects, such as the lighthouse, when needed. The Selectmen thanked Derrill for his presentation.
Derrill talked about the CPA Coalition Director Stuart Saginor coming to visit Aquinnah September 30th.
Adam said he’d pick Stuart up that morning and bring him to town.

In Selectmen’s Other Business, Jay brought up the need for his department to have a credit card. There was discussion about it and how a town credit card works when used personally vs one that is issued for the town. The Board talked with both Jay and Simon about credit card issues. The Selectmen advised Jay to talk to the Town Accountant to see if it can be done.

-In Other Business Jim Glavin brought up the need to hire a “clerk of the works” to do the remedial work project at the Landfill Disposal Facility. He said if a clerk of the works could be hired the project to fix the drainage issues, repave the blacktop and put down concrete slabs for the disposal units will get done. He said it’s just a matter of getting bid quotes for the 3 sub projects and then have someone do the oversight.
The Board, by consensus, agreed to move forward with a plan to do a contracted hire for project management provided there is enough money in the project budget to pay for the service.

-In Other Business, The public safety agreement between the Town and Tribe was brought up for discussion. Jim gave an update on the status of the document and where it is within the Tribe’s administration. Simon expressed his frustration that the agreement should’ve been voted upon and accepted last April. He talked about inspections that have occurred and safety violations that need follow up on and completion verification. He also said that the Tribe would adopt the National Fire Safety Code (NFPA) so that the fire department can have jurisdiction on the property. He is unaware that has been accomplished. His concerns over personal liability on Tribal property is such that he told the Board that he would consider resigning from his position as fire chief unless the matter gets resolved.
-Spencer asked about the liability issue. Simon said the department should not enter tribal property unless that agreement is in place. He said the Town has no jurisdiction on the property. There was discussion about the language of the old agreement allowing only calls to residential structures. The department has no jurisdiction to handle calls for brush fires on the property, or the treatment facility, or the hatchery. Only residential structures should be called to. The other buildings were off limits. There was discussion about police side of the agreement being done and those concerns from Randhi addressed.
-Simon also complained that he gets no follow up information on the safety code violations he’s identified and whether or not they have been addressed and/or fixed. Jim asked Simon what is he doing on his end to find out that information; who he’s called and whether or not he has revisited the property to find out what’s been done.

-Jim asked Adam to write a letter for the Selectmen to send expressing all the concerns discussed and to request a meeting. The letter should also request that the Tribe adopt the NFPA within 30 days and come into compliance with all conditions set forth in the revisionary language that was agreed upon last April.

-Jim asked if there was anything else to discuss. Hearing none…
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn.
The Board voted 3 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.

The meeting ended at 6:45 pm.