Aquinnah Board of Selectmen
Minutes of Meeting 7/25/2017
Aquinnah Town Hall Selectmen's Meeting Room
Members present: Chairman Jim Newman, Gary Haley and Julianne Vanderhoop
Also present: Board Administrator Assistant Sophia Welch, Personnel Chairman Kathy Newman, Highway Foreman Frank Perez, Town Treasure/HR Sibel Suman, and Police Chief Randhi Belain
The meeting began at 5:32 pm.
- First on the agenda under Old Business was a review of minutes from 7/11/17.
The Board deferred approval of minutes to the next meeting.
- Next under Old Business was the discussion on Town Hall Office Hours and Fall/Winter Friday closures. Sibel Suman, Town Treasure/HR, expressed that most Fridays during the off season there are limited services in the Town Hall that a Friday closure should be discussed by the Selectmen. The Board, by consensus, took it under advisement and will re-visit the discussion closer to the fall.
- Next on the agenda under New Business was a meeting with Jen Passafiume from Vineyard Triathlon. Jen informed the Board about the 4th Annual Vineyard Triathlon being held on September 10th. Aquinnah will only be part of the long distance bike course. Jen asked for a second Police Officer to be positioned at the intersection of Moshup Trail and State Road. Chief Belain agreed to post an Officer there and on State Road by the Town Hall. The Board expressed excitement for the Triathlon.
Jim signed the approval letter presented by Jen to the Board of Selectmen.
- Next on the agenda under New Business was the review of the All Island Assessment Grant. Jim informed the Selectmen about the signing of the Aquinnah Community Compact Grant and the events that took place in the Old Town Hall earlier that Day. Along with Rep Dylan Fernandes and Martha’s Vineyard Commission Director Adam Turner, Lieut. Gov. Karyn Polito was also in attendance at the signing of the compact. All Selectmen agreed that this Grant is a benefit to the Town. Jim reiterated that the awarded amount from the State is $7500.00 and an additional $5000.00 from the Martha's Vineyard Commission. Jim also noted that this grant is for the study of regional assessment on the island and nothing more than that.
Aquinnah and West Tisbury are the two island towns that have joined the community compact program thus far.
- Next on the agenda under New Business was the review of the request of Dale and Michele Clement for the use of the Aquinnah Circle on September 16th and 17th for the annual HAM Radio Event.
The Board, by consensus, agreed to approve the request presented by the Clement's.
Sophia is to notify Michele and Dale Clement on the Board’s approval.
- In Other Business, Jim made a recommendation to the Board to name Sibel Suman as the acting Town Coordinator until a Town Administrator is hired. Sibel we be contact person in the absence of the Board of Selectmen. The salary will be prorated on the first step of the Town Administrators salary.
Julianne made a motion to name Sibel Suman as the acting Town Coordinator. Gary seconded.
The Board voted 3-0 in favor. The motion passed.
- Chief Belain suggested that the Board send out an email to Town employees to notify them about this decision so that there is no confusion. The Board agreed.
Jim will send out a notification email to Town employees.
- Under Other Business, Jim read a letter received from the Martha's Vineyard Museum dated July 11th in response to the Town's invitation to return and display the Fresnel lens in Aquinnah. The Museum Board voted unanimously to not relocate the lens to a spot near the Gay Head Lighthouse. The Museum thanked the Town for their interest and notified the Selectmen that the lens will be housed at the new Museum being constructed around the 1895 Marine Hospital building in Vineyard Haven. The Board agreed that the response from Museum was unfortunate but that it would cost the Town significant money to house and care for the lens.
- Next under Other Business, Sophia gave the Board a work proposal submitted by Vineyard Land Surveying and Engineering for the preparation of the move of the shack located on Lot "A" in Menemsha. Jim felt that the money to pay for this proposal could come from legal services. The Board reviewed the proposal presented.
Gary motioned to accept Vineyard Land Surveying and Engineering Work Proposal as presented. Julianne seconded.
The Board voted 3-0 in favor. The motion passed.
- Next in Other Business Jim brought forth a verbal request from Elise LeBovit and the Board of Assessors to meet with the Selectmen. The Board agreed that a meeting should take place. Jim is to notify the Board on a date for the meeting.
- Lastly in Other Business, Jim applauded Chief Belain and his department on the success of the Safety Day held in the Aquinnah Circle on July 22nd. Chief Belain credited Fire Chief Bolin and his team on the success. Discussion took place on the Safety Day turn out.
- Jim asked if there was anything else to come before the Board. Hearing none, a motion was made and seconded to adjourn.
The Board voted 3 – 0 in favor. The motion passed.
-The meeting ended at 5:50 pm.